Hi Guest - won't you sign up - like now? You'll get "early member" perks, ratings, free for sale adds, store discount codes and of course access to all the hidden stuff that status begets..

Recent threads from Precisionist
ThreadsDateReplies
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

[-]
Tags
diver affordable the

The affordable diver
For under 50 USD...?!
Better response on post The affordable diverWhenever someone asks the question “I don’t know anything about divers, which dive watch should I start with?” online, you can guarantee the Amphibia is going to be mentioned, along with the Seiko SKX007 and usually the Orient Mako II. So read up on the Vostok thread hereabouts will you. You can get them new for cheap, vintage for - well, not. What is that? Vintage is more expensive? The affordable vintage usually is, and therefore there is some fun in the hunt for the original and the quirky. Affordable divers have plenty of quirky to separate them from the conservative high rollers.
But, I am not doing the usual as there are other options, like the Casio MDV106-1A dive watch, well known among both diver’s and budget-oriented watch collectors. Why it’s so well known? I will get into that, but you can check for yourself if you want because it is commonly available for only $40 from online retailers such as Amazon. The MDV106-1A should stand out to you in that it features 200m water resistance, unlike many other ‘diver-style’ watches at this price level.

With its large 44mm case diameter, having such short and curved lugs helps the MDV106 still fit nicely on even smaller wrists. My wrists are only about 6.75″ around, and while the MDV106 sits large and proud on my wrist, the lugs don’t overhang and it feels nice and comfortable to wear.
The MDV106’s crown is probably my least favorite part of the watch. It looks undersized and just feels cheap and fiddly when unscrewing and adjusting it. On the positive side, with its extremely accurate quartz movement, you’ll be adjusting the time much less than on an automatic mechanical. The only time I’ve needed to unscrew the crown since I first set the watch is to advance the date at the end of a month with less than 31 days.
The bezel action is good. The notched edge provides a good grip even with wet and/or gloved hands. It’s stiff enough not to turn accidentally, but not too stiff for easy use. When turned the 120-click bezel provides a satisfying and somewhat click action. It’s a little sloppy compared to some higher end diver’s but not so bad that it jiggles back and forth when not being turned.

Isn’t that just a gorgeous, minimalistic dial? I like the pure black, white, and chrome of the dial. It’s difficult to see, but the black dial actually reflects a starburst pattern when viewed at an angle, which provides a lovely accent to the otherwise plain dial. The applied lumed markers are edged in chrome, and stand just above the black of the dial. The attention to detail here is very good for a watch in this price range, with the markers aligned perfectly with the dashes on the chapter ring.
The date window on the MDV106 is not particularly impressive, with the font being misaligned and the cutout featuring a rough edge on its right side. It’s also small and may be difficult to read for older owners.
I couldn’t find too many details about the Japanese made quartz movement in the MDV106-1A. It’s rated to be accurate +-30s/month, and mine does better than that, only gaining about 5 seconds a month. The SR626 battery should last approximately 3 years, and is easily replaceable by your local jeweler, dive shop, or yourself with the proper tools. I’d recommend having your local dive shop pressure test the watch for water tightness if you replace the battery yourself.

If you’re in need of an inexpensive (I won’t use the word cheap to describe it) diver style analog watch, you simply won’t go wrong with the Casio MDV106-1A. Whether you’re swimming, snorkeling, boating, diving, or just want a watch that can handle some sweat and abuse, you’ll be hard pressed to find something better equipped and better looking for $40. I think the MDV106 will be staying in my collection for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Precisionist for this post:
  • Collectionist, D'ohBoy, jpfwatch, JustinC
Indeed, maybe one of the best affordable divers? I am impressed.
If only I had known this before my SKX... 40 bucks! Do they have color options too? Lol
In my opinion this one beats the pants of an SKX! Even if it is a quartz..
Well, Quartz is good... just that battery change...
Yes, for a dive watch you would need to go to a watchmaker. And pressure test it.
(08-29-2017, 06:52 PM)Watchidis Wrote: Well, Quartz is good... just that battery change...

How long does it last anyway?
Better response on post The affordable diver3 to 4 years, as is normal for modern quartz...
Casio is hugely underrated, I can remember the use and fun I had when young with a Casio watch....
I tend to agree, still I have never bought a Casio (been given one though). The price just can't be right can it? It has got to be junk.... well, it is not actually.