Hi Guest - won't you sign up - like now? You'll get "early member" perks, ratings, free for sale adds, store discount codes and of course access to all the hidden stuff that status begets..

Recent threads from Collectionist
ThreadsDateReplies
Seiko Quartz calibers Photo gallery05-19-2018, 10:55 AM0
Seiko Quartz QZ 0923-803005-11-2018, 06:30 PM3
Omega Seamaster Chronometer 168.022 Constellation Killer05-07-2018, 09:09 PM10
Seiko Advan - glitz for the young03-30-2018, 11:06 AM8
5Actus for hippies03-30-2018, 10:55 AM11
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
watches controlled radio overview

Picture heavy Radio controlled watches overview
After doing some research I found that there are not many brands that offer these atomic time watches, let alone the different time zones like Europe, Asia, America etc.. And then there are different terminologies used - multi band atomic time, radio controlled being just two of them.

So lets start the list; I found several less established brands to be easily found: EurochronPrecision, Bering, Maximilian, Braun, Danish Design and Skagen; of course the well established brands are Citizen, Casio, Seiko and Junghans.

In no particular order....

Eurochron

Precision

Maximilian

Junghans

Adminishing the #$@ out of it
With the above depicted watches I can find quality issues, mostly to do with the dial work and the way the markers are applied or painted. The Junghans seems perfect though (should I say of course?). But I dislike their use of the digital date display.

Bering

Braun

Danish Design (very hard to find this discontinued one)

Skagen

Agreed. It seems Skagen and Danish Design are OK on that score. But DD (what's in a name lol) seems to have abandoned radio control recently.

Nice watches indeed, I found a few myself... you got me inspired. Some of them are a bit expensive...

And some cheap ones below 100 USD:

I do think that companies like Citizen and Seiko have more quality to offer, looking at fit and finishing and dial work.
I found these German watches... Meister Anker, solar to boot.

The quality is anybody's guess though...

You forgot the Seiko Spirit SBTM217.... Here it is:

Or the Seiko Spirit SBTM175:

Better response on post RE: Radio controlled watches overviewSome of these models, like the SBTM217 only work in Japan... worth checking out what the hell Seiko is doing here... I think they lost it anyhow looking at the shoddy dial of the SBTM175...
Thanks for the contribution Sagawa! I will pick it up again with Citizen and Casio.

Casio has many RCW's as they have always been the tech watch from Japan, let's just show off the Oceanus (G-shocks, Edifices etc. can be found in the brand section of Casio).

Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Only problem with the watch is the integrated bracelet, the end link is part of the casing! Dealbreaker for some...
Well, here is the CASIO lineage TOUGH MVT solar radio MULTIBAND6 LIW-T100TD-1AJF... it has everything but sapphire glass, which may be a deal breaker for some. (But you might have that replace by sapphire for about 50 USD). What it has going for it is the price, about 230 euro, and the quality you get for it.
Sizewise I think this is a perfect watch at 44 x 39.6 x 10.3 mm.

Full specs:

Push three folding buckle
Metal (titanium)
Spherical, curved glass
Waterproof
10 ATM water resistant
Radio receiving method
Auto receive ( up to 6 times per day ) ( Chinese radio waves up to 5 times per day ) or manual receive
Received signal
[Japan] incoming radio wave :JJY, frequency: 40kHz/60kHz (Fukushima, Kyusyu both stations compatible models)
[North America] incoming radio wave :WWVB, frequency: 60 kHz
Received radio :MSF/DCF77 [Europe], frequency :60kHz/77.5kHz
[China] receiving radio :BPC, frequency :68.5kHz
* receives Office and Home settings sets in the city that can be received according to the city. The time difference is set by selected cities.
Main features 1
■ Home timezone (receive function for time zones) receive radio
Tokyo / Japan standard radio JJY40 and JJY60
(Honolulu) ( anchorage ), WWVB standard radio in Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago, New York, United States
Standard signal DCF77 standard radio in London, Paris, Athens, UK MSF, Germany
Standard radio BPC Hong Kong S.A.R., China
* ( ) may receive in each city with any conditions.
The main feature 2
-Tough solar (mass solar charge system)
-Needle position automatic correction features
-World time: world time 29 cities (29 time zones and daylight savings time settings with the feature) and UTC (universal coordinated time) display
-Battery charging warning feature
• Power saving function (stop sewing after certain period of time in the dark, save battery life)
-Date display
-Full Auto calendar
Continuous operating time
In solar power with no driving time from full charge time
Features available for: 6 months
If the power saving state: 23 months
Size ( high × horizontal × deep ) / mass
44 x 39.6 x 10.3 mm / 76 g
Wearable size
Metal band: 150-205 mm
Please inform those who wish to metal band stone stuffed.
Remarks
* If the signal reception is not normal quartz accuracy. ( month difference ± 15 seconds or less ) in works
For the Citizen radio controlled watches just click here -  you will be directed elsewhere on this forum...
Difficult choice, Casio or Citizen. I would say it depends on your wrist size. One question, are they both like 44 mm lug to lug?
Looking at photos, I would say this watch is aimed at the average Joe with a measurement of 18cm around?
I like the fact that it is titanium - very nice and a distinguishing factor..
Very modern these, almost a smartwatch, nothing left to fiddle with... just replace it when done with it...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  work in progress Radio Controlled watches price list Collectionist 0 415 09-09-2017, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Collectionist
  Radio Controlled watches Explained Tankwatch 0 404 07-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Last Post: Tankwatch